People think I’m weird because I have a bit of an obsession with Parma Violets. I find them yummy and sweet, and I love the smell. To others, it tastes like soap and smells like old ladies.

I bought McQueen * from Amazon after someone said it smelt exactly like Parma Violets. Oddly, the 100ml bottle was cheaper than the 50ml at the time, so I bought it quick. Maybe its just my nose, but I don’t really smell the violets.

I bought Insolence* from Debenhams a few weeks ago – I had a gift card burning a hole in my purse, and I had a miniature of this in my bag which I loved until it all emptied out into my bag. The bag still smells quite nice, 2 years later.

Both of these are meant to be quite violet-y, but they just weren’t the right sort of sweet violet. A lazy browse around Amazon lead me to something which I thought was worth buying the body spray of to see if thats the scent I was hunting for since it was only £2 with Prime delivery. Success! It was!

You’re probably wondering what that scent was. Um. Well, its Yardley April Violets*. Which…is an old lady kind of brand.

Oh dear.

7 Responses

1. Kelly January 30, 2012 / 1:58 pm

I LOVE Parma Violets! Love them. The smell and taste.
    Can I join your old lady crew? We can eat Parma Violets and spray Yardley whilst moaning about the youth of today.

2. daisychain January 30, 2012 / 2:07 pm

I smelt a perfume once that was exactly like parma violets. I’ll be buggered if I can remember what it was though!

3. Ally January 30, 2012 / 2:27 pm

Bring on the Old Lady Perfume! I love it (tends to smell of talcum powder). Im currently wearing Je Reviens ( ) which incidentally has Violet in its heart notes. I like it as its floral and spicy and reminds me of my grandma (who i think wore it)
    oooh now i so want to write a blog post about Old Lady Perfumes – know of any others? Problem is those ones like the Yardley never have any testers

4. Laura January 30, 2012 / 9:41 pm

I absolutely love violet notes in perfumes! My favourites are Kenzo Flower, Vivienne Westwood Naughty Alice and Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet.
    My next to-buy violet perfume is Balenciaga Paris!
    This website shows loads of perfumes with violet notes:

5. Style Eyes January 31, 2012 / 6:58 am

I loev parma violet sweets. I also saw some violet cream chocolates in the local sweet shop the other day and was really tempted!

6. Sheryl Vaughan January 11, 2014 / 2:07 am

I’m on my second bottle of Balenciaga Paris. Whenever I wear it I always receive comments from friends and strangers on how beautiful it smells. My great Grandmother was called Violet and I adore the smell of them too. Black Magic chocolates used to have violet creams in years ago when I was a child, but alas no longer. Maybe we should start a campaign to get them re-instated. LOL

7. Elisabeth Hyldmo Landsverk November 21, 2014 / 11:04 am

I’ll join the club! But then I really may be an old lady…( 60 going on 25 ;-) )